A blog about miniatures, wargaming, and the people driven to ruin by them....

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Battletech: Comstar, Mountain Camo, and Forest Camo

Howdie.  I don't get to play Battletech very often any more, but I have been playing since the 80's.  At the turn of the century, I was living in Ft Lauderdale, and was part of a huge BT club there, gaming all day Sunday, playing mostly company level games.

Anyway, I have also been collecting for a very long time.  When I dig out mechs for games, I keep thinking maybe I should start cataloging them.... so here goes.  I selected three painted groups for my first Battletech catalog session.

First is a unit painted in mountain terrain camo, 14 mechs.  One failing I have is not putting unit insignia on mechs, something I might change in the future.  That means these can be used for any unit I want.  Despite having a couple of mechs that seem to be specific to one faction or another, I always like the idea of Comstar acquiring mechs for their own reasons.  These could very easily be Comstar mechs fitted out for battling in the mountains of Tukayyid...


The mechs are a combination of metal and plastic, including one Plastech...
Hatchetman, Cataphract, Zeus, Banshee (with the extra PPC), Stalker, Annihilator, Locust, Orion, Javelin, Centurion, Victor, Thug, Battlemaster, Imp.  The three in the back are older, paint job is not as good, and each is a little banged up :)  The ones in the front are the newest, and are painted a bit better.

The next unit is all white Comstar, 27 mechs.  One, the Warhammer, was painted white just to be white many years ago, but he fits in with the Comstar stuff.  You might notice that many of these are 2750 mechs, which is how I originally started collecting them.

One thing about many of the 2750 designs, is that they are fast, but seem overall to me to be too light in armor.  That is opinion, but I find I like certain ones (King Crab, Thug, Crab, Kintaro, Flashman) better than some others.

The first mountain camo group is a bit heavy on average, but these Comstar white mechs have a large number of lighter mechs to balance things out.  2x Hussars, Champion, Kintaro, Warhammer, Flashman, Wyvern, Sentinel, 2x Highlanders, King Crab, Mongoose, Crab, 2x Thugs, Exterminator, Trebuchet, Black Night, Guillotine, Panther, Hunchback, Dragon, OBaekmono, Emperor, Cyclops, Imp, and Thorn.

Finally, a small group of mechs painted in woodland camo, 6 mechs.  I did not paint as many of this scheme (at least not yet), but I can always expand on it.  This is a fairly light bunch (except for that King Crab!), and again, could easily be used as Comstar, or any other faction, as needed.

Whitworth, Jenner (now, there is a mech with some contemporary drama), Mongoose, King Crab, Stinger, and Quickdraw.  I forgot to say, I like the Mongoose too :)

Not sure when I will get a chance to catalog some more mech units, but I do have a large number of Liao mechs to post at some point, plus some desert type camo.

Until then, go with pulse lasers over AC2s, and it will probably turn out ok....

Thanks,
Chalfant




2 comments:

  1. Very nice I really like the mountain terrain camo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, that is one of the camo patterns I like the best too. I will probably add more to this group as time goes on (and on, and on, and on....)

      Delete