A blog about miniatures, wargaming, and the people driven to ruin by them....

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Shipwreck! Red Storm Rising...

Howdie.

I had made a large purchase of 1/3000 NavWar Soviets, and then, added some more which hasn't arrived yet.  I may have bought a little too much....

I started basing some of them up, we will have slightly warmer weather soon, hoping to get some spray paint on them.

In the below image, you will see the Kuznetsov, the Admiral Gorshkov, the Moskva (the CVH), the Kirov, the Frunze, a Kara, the Admiral Chabanenko, 3x Slava, 2x Alligator, Boris Chilkin, Ivan Rogov, 3x Typhoons, 3x Sierras, 3x Victors, 4x Alphas, and 4x Kilos... all based except for the Boris and Ivan.



Wow.  Typhoons are big!  I think I will borrow an idea, and have one named Red October :)

The Kirov looks to be slightly miscast, the tops of the masts are not as distinct as on the Frunze, and the modified Kiev seems a little too rounded on the prow.  Still, I am very happy with this... no where else could I get such a fleet for such a price.  If from GHQ in 1/2400 for the same price I'd have 2 capital ships and 2 DDs.... from NavWar for the same price, I have "all" of them.

Still in the bags are 3x Udaloys, 3x Sovremennys, 8x Grishas, 4x Krivak IIs, 3x Pauk, 3x Tarantuls, and the Peter Gutshenko.  I have several items on order, including a Sverdlov, and more subs. 

Also shown in this image is a single pack of 3x Song subs for my PLA(N).  Finally, I bought a supertanker and 2x dry storage merchant ships.  The merchant ships are a must.... we really need some for the PLA(N) vs USN games, and will need them for our Cold War gaming too.

As far as the PLA(N)... I really need to talk to procurement about obtaining a couple of Slavas.  I don't care their real world problems, the Slava looks great on paper!

Almost all of the Soviet ships and subs are usable by the modern Russians, so I have a fleet from the late 70's through today to use against everyone, including my PLA(N) if it comes to that.

Hope to show off some paintjobs soon.  Thanks!

Chalfant

4 comments:

  1. So many great ships here, I love the Sverdlov class and their variations. The Udaloys and Krivaks are nasty against submarines.

    Any chance we can game sometime soon. I will do Hapoon (early edition) or Shipwreck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, I posted something on FB for you about that.

      Delete
  2. Nice work, I am not sure if you saw my post on my own Red Fleet here on my blog:
    http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/the-red-banner-soviet-fleet-finished.html
    They have had one outing so far, but I have subsequently added some substantial air assets. Looking forward to them getting it on with my RN fleet (once I find some suitable basing stuff for that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, yep I certainly have. One good wargaming effort inspires another, and another, and so on :)

      Delete